Left click to enlarge pictures. Arrows allow viewing of all pictures in sequence or to play a slide show.
Back to Pembrokeshire place names and parishes.

Available information for Llanddewi Velfrey, Pembrokeshire

Churches and Chapels


Bethel (Independent) 1824-
Address/Location: A40 (T)OS Grid Ref: SN159170 geograph



Archive Holdings
Repositories:
Baptisms 1748-1837, TNA Marriages , Burials , Monumental Inscriptions ,
See Henllan Chapel

Ffynnon (Baptist) 1720-
Address/Location:OS Grid Ref: SN136169 geograph



Archive Holdings
Repositories:
Baptisms , Marriages , Burials , Monumental Inscriptions Click here for link to Dyfed FHS Publications

St.David (Church in Wales)
Address/Location:OS Grid Ref: SN1516 geograph



Archive Holdings
Repositories:

Bishops Transcripts 1676-1880, NLW
Baptisms 1727-1992, NLW
Marriages 1727-1870, NLW
Burials 1727-1990, NLW
Monumental Inscriptions Click here for link to Dyfed FHS Publications

Trefangor Burial Ground (Baptist)
Address/Location: On the north side of the A40 OS Grid Ref: SN131 170 geograph




In 1667 before the chapel (Rhydwilym, Llandissilio, PEM) was built, Gruffydd Howel donated land at Trefangor, Llanddewi Velfrey, and this became one of the oldest non-conformist burial grounds in Wales and the principal resting place for many of the Baptists in the region. In 1861 Lewis, the squire of Henllan Llanddewi Velfreyr, under the mistaken belief that he owned the land, refused to allow the Baptist burial of the Rev. David G Accrington, a native of Bletherston (PEM). He was buried at Bethesda Chapel in Narberth, but his friends removed the body and buried it at Trefangor without permission. A court case followed, and in 1866 Lewis Henllan discovered that the land was in fact owned by the Baptists. In repentance he repaired and extended the cemetery at his own cost.

Gruffydd Howel was one of the first joint ministers. His son, John, was the first to be buried in this cemetery; memorials to father and son and several early Rhydwilym ministers may still be seen here.


Monumental Inscriptions Click here for link to Dyfed FHS Publications



Schools


National School
Address/Location:

No photographs are available.

Archive Holdings
Opened 1876 - status c2000
Age range 5-11
Repositories:
School logbooks 1874-1931, PEM RO Admission Register , Attendance Register 1877-1878, PEM RO Examination Results , Published History ,



Farms


No pictures or information available.

People


No pictures or information available.

Postcards


No pictures or information available.

War Memorials


No pictures or information available.


Photographs of war memorials in Pembrokeshire, together with short biographies of many of those named can be found at http://wwwmp.co.uk/



Back to Pembrokeshire place names and parishes.





Website design and hosting: Technoleg Taliesin Cyf.

Administration