Left click to enlarge pictures. Arrows allow viewing of all pictures in sequence or to play a slide show.
Back to Carmarthenshire place names and parishes.

Available information for Llanddowror, Carmarthenshire

Churches and Chapels


Elim Chapel
Address/Location: SN 202364 201298



Archive Holdings
Repositories:

Births ,
Marriages ,
Burials ,
Monumental Inscriptions ,

St. Teilo (Church in Wales)
Address/Location:OS Grid Ref: SN 20256 20145 geograph



Archive Holdings
Repositories:

Bishops Transcripts 1671-1856, NLW
Baptisms 1726-1979, CMN RO
Marriages 1726-1969, CMN RO
Burials 1726-1979, CMN RO
Monumental Inscriptions ,

Tabernacle (Calvinistic Methodist) 1797-
Address/Location:OS Grid Ref: SN255145 geograph



Archive Holdings
Repositories:

Baptisms 1807-1837, TNA
Marriages ,
Burials ,
Monumental Inscriptions ,



People


Griffith Jones 1684-1761
Address/Location:




Born in Pant-yr-efel, Penboyr, Jones attended Carmarthen Grammar School and after initial rejections became a Church of England clerygyman. His first curacy was at Penbryn, Cardiganshire. His preaching attracted great crowds, and also the attention of the Bishop's Court in Carmarthen where he was reprimanded for ignoring church law and customs.

His patron, Sir John Phillips, appointed him to the living at Llanddowror, Carmarthenshire, where he worked for the Society for the Promotion of Christian Knowledge, and the publication of a new edition of the Welsh Bible. It was at Llanddowror that he began to found a network of Welsh-language 'circulating schools'. By 1737, thirty-seven schools operated for a three month period during the winter when agricultural work was difficult. Children and adults were taught to read in Welsh, so that they could read the Welsh Bible and the catechism. The teachers, trained by Jones, would move from parish to parish, and by the time of his death in 1761 it is thought that 3,495 schools had been established, attended by 158,000 scholars. The result was a rural population, literate and able to read the Welsh Bible, recognising the value of eduation and, it is thought, the new ideas of Methodism.

After the death of his wife Margaret, Jones moved into the home of a wealthy philanthropic benefactor Brigid Bevan, of Laugharne.Click here. After his death she carried on his work. Madame Bevan and Griffith Jones were both buried at Llanddowror.



Schools


Llandowor Voluntary Controlled School
Address/Location:

No photographs are available.

Archive Holdings
Repositories:
Log Books 1895-1943 CMN RO Governors/Managers Minutes 1975-1988 CMN RO Admissions Registers 1920-1945 CMN RO



Farms


No pictures or information available.

Postcards


No pictures or information available.

War Memorials


No pictures or information available.


Photographs of war memorials in Carmarthenshire, together with short biographies of many of those named can be found at http://wwwmp.co.uk/



Back to Carmarthenshire place names and parishes.





Website design and hosting: Technoleg Taliesin Cyf.

Administration